The word “Asha” means “hope” in many Indian languages. Asha for Education is an international non-profit organization with a primary focus on basic education in India. The broader mission is to catalyze socio-economic change in India through the education of underprivileged children. With this aim in mind, we strive forward with the hope that this generation will bring the liberating force of education to the underprivileged children of India.
The objectives of Asha in India are:
- To provide access to education for underprivileged children in India
- To promote universal education and decrease child labor
- To support grass roots initiatives in deprived and marginalized communities in India
- To address, whenever possible, other issues affecting human life such as health care, environmental and socio-economic issues, women’s issues, human rights issues, etc.
The objectives of Asha in the United States are:
- Raise resources & awareness
- Encourage volunteer learning & leadership
- Provide opportunities to contribute to socio-economic change in India